In 1851, Egbert van Bon commissioned the construction of a windmill on the Zuidlaardervaart in Zuidlaren, currently known as flour and oil mill De Wachter. In 1895 the Medendorp family takes over the business. Until recently, the grandson of Medendorp lived next to the mill as a retired miller. De Wachter has been running until the late 1950’s. In the time that followed, the structure has been fully restored inside and out. The oil mill has been returned into its original glory. A replica of the spices mill, operating in the early years of the 20th Century, was built on the upper floor. After a long time of absence, the steam engines, generating power from as early as the turn of the Century and providing electricity to the mill, were also bought back and returned to their original posi…

Wij willen onze journalistiek zo open mogelijk houden omdat we onze liefde voor het Noorden graag met iedereen delen. Om deze onafhankelijke journalistiek mogelijk te maken, investeren wij veel tijd. Wij hebben lezers nodig om dit te kunnen blijven doen. Voor slechts 43,50 per jaar kun je ons steunen en krijg je vier keer per jaar ons tijdschrift opgestuurd.

Trefwoorden